What do you, the trees, and a hamster have in common?
Answer: You all need water.
All living things must have water to survive, whether they get it from a water fountain, a rain cloud, or a little bottle attached to the side of a hamster cage.
Without water, your body would stop working properly. Water makes up more than half of your body weight and a person can't survive for more than a few days without it.
9 important reasons to drink water:
- Weight loss - Water often replaces high-calorie drinks like soda and juice with a drink that doesn't have any calories. But it's also a great appetite suppressant, and often when we think we're hungry, we're actually just thirsty.
- Heart healthy - studies have shown that those who drink more than 5 glasses of water a day were 41% less likely to die from a heart attack compared to those who drank less than two glasses.
- Energy - being dehydrated can sap your energy and make you feel tired
- Headache cure - Another symptom of dehydration is headaches. In fact, often when we have headaches it's simply a matter of not drinking enough water.
- Healthy skin - Drinking water can clear up your skin and people often report a healthy glow after drinking water.
- Digestive problems - Often water can help cure stomach acid problems, and water along with fiber can cure constipation (often a result of dehydration).
- Cleansing - Water is used by the body to help flush out toxins and waste products from the body.
- Cancer risk - drinking a healthy amount of water has also been found to reduce the risk of colon cancer by 45%. Drinking lots of water can also reduce the risk of bladder cancer by 50% and potentially reduce the risk of breast cancer.
- Better exercise - Exercise requires additional water, so be sure to hydrate before, during and after exercise